Kick-off the holiday season the best way you can—by giving to causes close to your heart!
What is Giving Tuesday?
After the widely celebrated shopping events, Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, and Cyber Monday, Giving Tuesday is a global movement centered around giving to organizations you love!
When is Giving Tuesday?
This year, Giving Tuesday is on Tuesday, December 3rd—but we hope the Family Equality community continues to carry the giving spirit well into the holiday season.
How can I participate?
The best way you can support Family Equality for #GivingTuesday and beyond is by starting a Facebook fundraiser today and setting it to end on Giving Tuesday!
1. Fundraise for Family Equality on Facebook
The support of people like you and the powerful tool of Facebook fundraisers are critical to our mission. In fact, in 2019 alone, we’ve raised nearly $15,000 in donations from Facebook fundraisers—and we hope to get that total up to $40,000, in honor of our 40th anniversary!
How do I create a Facebook fundraiser?
- On your desktop, click “Fundraisers” in the left menu of your News Feed. On Mobile apps, click the three horizontal lines to show your menu, scroll down, and tap “Fundraisers.”
- Select “Raise money.” If this is your first time, consider a goal of $250 (or whatever feels right to you)—and if you’re a #GivingTuesday seasoned pro, try doubling the amount you received last year!
- Select “Nonprofit/Charity” and then select “Family Equality.” Use the photo we provide, and fill in the fundraiser details.
- Name your fundraiser “[Your name]’s #GivingTuesday Fundraiser for Family Equality.”
- Click “Create” and share the fundraiser with your network of family and friends along with a short explanation of why our work matters to you! It doesn’t need to be long, but photos always catch people’s attention.
TIP: Post updates during the course of your fundraiser to remind your friends and family to donate!
If you’re looking for help figuring out what to say and how to say it, we’ve got you covered! Either share your family’s story (you can click here for some inspiration) or check out some of our sample talking points and graphics (click to download):
“I’m supporting Family Equality this #GivingTuesday because I believe all LGBTQ+ families deserve to live in communities that respect, protect, and value them.”
“Forming my family would not have been possible without the amazing support of our surrogate. Did you know access to surrogacy is either illegal or severely restricted for LGBTQ people in ten states nationwide? Join me in supporting Family Equality this #GivingTuesday to ensure family building options are provided without discrimination against families like mine.”
“Every year, more than 20,000 youth age out of the US foster care system without finding their forever family. In many states, it’s legal to turn away qualified prospective parents just because they are LGBTQ+ despite the fact that LGBTQ+ parents are seven times more likely than non-LGBTQ+ parents to foster or adopt children. This #GivingTuesday, I’m supporting Family Equality – because I believe every child deserves a family.”
“The highlight of our year is always joining other LGBTQ+ families in Provincetown for Family Week. We know that it is transformative for all LGBTQ+ family members to encounter families like look like theirs for a full week of beachy fun. This #GivingTuesday, join me in supporting Family Equality and COLAGE, a program of Family Equality, so this event can keep growing and serving more families like ours!
“I’m so excited that COLAGE is joining forces with Family Equality to support ALL members of LGBTQ+ families. Support the current and future leaders of our collective communities this #GivingTuesday by giving to Family Equality!”
You can also encourage your friends and family to donate to Family Equality by reminding them about our work throughout the course of your fundraiser! Here are a few easy options to use:
WATCH: “About Family Equality”
2. Pledge to make a special donation on #GivingTuesday
Want to make a special donation to Family Equality on #GivingTuesday? That’s great! Click the button to add a reminder to your calendar so you don’t forget!
3. Be a social media ambassador for Family Equality
If you’re not able to make a #GivingTuesday gift, you can still volunteer and help ensure we reach more supporters than ever this year!
Follow Family Equality on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and share our content with your networks between now and #GivingTuesday.